Termite fumigation project in tents, intense

first_imgRPV: Lomita firm covering the 100-unit condo complex is using 125 tarps for cover. By Megan Bagdonas STAFF WRITER No, the carnival hasn’t come to town – but the termite fumigators have. “The dirt, scuff and tar stains from roofs don’t stand out as much when you’ve got the stripes. A tarp goes on about 100 buildings before it needs to be replaced, so if there’s just one color, they look really dirty,” Santonello said. “It’s just become standard procedure.” Residents vacated their homes by 8a.m. Monday, taking with them any pets. “We put all our food in sealed, plastic bags, took out all the plants to the tennis courts and opened up all the drawers to make sure the gas can get in and out,” said Hagen, who is staying with his wife at a hotel in Long Beach. “It’s like a vacation, but we still have to go to work.” Concerned about thieves who might take advantage of the vacant residences, the condo’s homeowners association hired a private security firm to guard the premises until the work is finished Thursday. However, Santonello said he rarely hears of burglaries of tented homes. “Someone who doesn’t know anything about fumigating might think they can hold their breath and run in and grab a TV and get out, but sulfuryl fluoride can kill somebody in a couple of minutes if they breathe in enough of it,” Santonello said. Just in case someone is willing to take the deadly risk, fumigators routinely add tear gas as a warning agent, since the toxic sulfuryl fluoride is odorless and colorless. “The tear gas keeps anything from going inside the tarp – including animals,” Santonello said. And if the security guards and tear gas aren’t enough to dissuade determined thieves, deputies at the Lomita sheriff’s station have increased patrols to the La Rotonda area. “I’m not aware of any increase in crime in homes that are being fumigated for termites, but as with anything, we’re being proactive in crime prevention,” sheriff’s Lt. Michael Irving said. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A 100-unit condo complex in Rancho Palos Verdes has a new big-top look this week after wood-eating insects were found munching on the building. “Last year we had to replace the roof and that’s when we found the termites,” said Herman Hagen, a resident of Ocean Terrace. “You could actually see them when we took off the old roof.” The circus-sized project near Trump National Golf Club required 125 plastic-coated panels (an average home uses six) and 50,000 metal clips to make airtight the more than 3-million-cubic-foot building, said the owner of Andy’s Termite and Pest control in Lomita. “It’s the biggest project we’ve ever attacked on our own,” Andy Santonello said. “We’re pretty proud of it.” Fumigators use colorfully striped tarps because the special plastic-coated cloth only comes in 50-inch-wide swaths that need to be sewn together, and alternating colors allow inspectors to quickly assess the height and width of a building. It also just looks better. last_img read more

Continue Reading

Ten things to know about Nick Bosa’s high school, which visits De La Salle on Friday night

first_imgThe De La Salle football team is used to playing against high-profile teams.The Spartans’ first opponent of the 2019 season, St. Thomas Aquinas of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, certainly fits the bill.Starting with their first championship in 1992, Aquinas has won 10 state titles and regularly features players that go on to star in the NCAA and even the NFL. The 2011 team that De La Salle played, for instance, its defensive line included the Los Angeles Chargers’ Joey Bosa and the Carolina …last_img

Continue Reading

Family, friends, leaders file past Mandela’s body

first_img11 December 2013 The Mandela family, friends, government ministers and the leaders of countries from across the world filed past the body of Nelson Mandela at the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Wednesday morning. Mandela’s body is lying in state at the newly renamed Nelson Mandela Amphitheatre, where Madiba was inaugurated as South Africa’s first democratically elected president in 1994. The body is under constant vigil by the national ceremonial guard of the SA National Defence Force. Wednesday morning’s proceedings included a parade with a gun carriage drawn by soldiers and moment of silence. The first batch of mourners to pay homage to Madiba, led by President Jacob Zuma, included an emotional Graca Machel, Madiba’s wife, as well as former wife Winnie Madikezela-Mandela, the elder stateman’s children and grandchildren, former President Thabo Mbeki and several government ministers.Leaders pay last respects The second batch to file past the body were leaders from across the world. As most world leaders will not attend Mandela’s official state funeral in Qunu on Sunday, it was an opportunity for them to pay their final respects to a man described by US President Barack Obama, in his speech at the memorial service in Johannesburg on Tuesday, as “the last great liberator of the 20th century”. Each took their turn in an orderly and dignified manner to either say a prayer at the body or pass by after viewing it. The leaders included Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, Malawian President Joyce Banda, a delegation from the United Arab Emirates, Indian President Pranab Mukherjee, Namibian President Hifikepunye Pohamba and Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. Mandela’s trusted aide for many years, Zelda la Grange, cut an emotional figure as she walked hand in hand with Irish singer Bono. Anant Singh, who produced the film Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, was also among those who came to pay their respects.Route, access, public viewing Madiba’s body arrived at the Union Buildings just before 8am this morning after travelling in procession from 1 Military Hospital. The cortege left 1 Military Hospital at 7am, arriving about an hour later at the Union Buildings, where Mandela’s body will lie in state until 5.30pm, in a process to be repeated on Thursday and Friday. Members of the public have been urged to line the route each day to form a public guard of honour for Mandela. Members of the public will also be able to view the body each day, from midday until 5.30pm on Wednesday, and from 8am to 5.30pm on Friday. For people wishing to get to the Union Buildings, the City of Tshwane has made park-and-ride facilities available at the Tshwane Events Centre, the LC De Villiers Sports Facility in Hatfield, and the Fountains Valley Park. Members of the public are urged to make use of these services, as access to the Union Buildings to view Mandela’s body will be restricted to people arriving in city buses only. Street vendors have been advised that no trading will be allowed on the roads designated for Mandela’s cortege over the next three days. Shop owners along these routes are also advised to temporarily close shop, given the large number of people expected to line the streets. The procession will leave 1 Military Hospital in Thaba Tshwane at 7am on Thursday and Friday, travelling on Old Pretoria Road towards the city, then joining Kgosi Mampuru Road until its intersection with Madiba Street, then proceeding east along Madiba Street towards the Union Buildings. Source: SAnews.gov.zalast_img read more

Continue Reading

Move Over Real World, The Founders 2010 is Here

first_imgForget MTV’s reality show “The Real World” – if you’re considering getting into the startup game but want to get a glimpse of what’s in store, then The Founders 2010 is for you. The weekly video series is in its second incarnation and follows three startup companies – content crowdsourcing service Grogger, mobile augmented reality platform creator Omniar and property management software RentMonitor – in their adventures through Techstars.Techstars is a 90-day program that provides seed capital and mentorship for Internet startups. The program offers up to $18,000 in seed funding as well as “the chance to pitch to angel investors and venture capitalists at the end of the program”, according to the website. From what we’ve seen, the program has quite the success rate, with nearly 70% of companies coming out of Techstars raising outside funding or becoming profitable on their own.The series follows “the experiences of three companies throughout the summer in Boulder, Colorado from the time they arrive through investor day and beyond” and looks at what it means to be a startup going through Techstars.In the first episode, David Cohen, the managing director for Techstars, explains that “when people think about the startup and why do you do it, they always think about the exit and getting out and making a bunch of money, but it’s really all about the ride. It’s a huge adrenaline rush.”From showing how startup partners can quickly become family members as the business operates from the basement, to the difficulties and sleepless nights, “The Founders 2010” gives a sneak peek into the world of Internet entrepreneurship. While “The Founders 2010” follows startups in Techstars Boulder, the program is also available in Boston and recently expanded to Seattle. The entire 2009 season of “The Founders” is also available on the Techstars website.“The Question is Why” The Founders | TechStars Boulder | Episode 1 from TechStars on Vimeo. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Tags:#Gritty Entrepreneurs#start#StartUp 101#startups Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai…center_img Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Related Posts mike melansonlast_img read more

Continue Reading

Photo: Trevor Cooney Is Wearing A Rakeem Christmas Shirt While Warming Up For Tonight’s Game vs. Virginia

first_imgTrevor Cooney wears a Rakeem Christmas shirt.Twitter/@MattPark1Tonight’s game at the Carrier Dome between Syracuse and Virginia is going to be all about senior center Rakeem Christmas. With the Orange ineligible for the post-season, Christmas’ final home game is a major event in Central New York, and we bet there will be plenty of tributes to Syracuse’s lone senior. We’ve already shared this spectacular snowman on the Syracuse campus, now Christmas’ teammate and longtime friend Trevor Cooney is paying homage to the center in the Dome during [email protected] out early modeling shooting shirt tribute to @R_Xmas25 on Senior Night. And new shorts to go with… pic.twitter.com/ZiFlIKvL9D— Matt Park (@MattPark1) March 2, 2015Based on Matt Park’s tweet, the rest of the team may also be wearing these for warm-ups. This is a very cool tribute to a player who has meant everything to his team during what has been a very trying season for the Orange.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Shock and oil Alberta premier threatens to turn off taps in BC

first_imgEDMONTON – Alberta Premier Rachel Notley is threatening to turn off the oil taps in a fight with British Columbia over the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion.Notley won’t say if she would cut off B.C. or the rest of Canada — or both — but says her government is ready to pass legislation to make it happen.“Our key focus is getting people’s attention on the matter,” Notley told a news conference Thursday prior to the speech from the throne to open the next session of the legislature.“We’re not interested in creating any kind of crisis in any way, shape or form. We’re going to be measured. We’re going to be careful.”The $7.9-billion pipeline expansion would triple the amount of Alberta crude going from Edmonton to the port in Burnaby.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government approved the Kinder Morgan project in 2016, but the pipeline has since faced permit fights and challenges from the B.C. government.Alberta has already imposed and pulled back on a ban of wine from B.C., but Notley said the government will not stand for further delays and harassment.She said the project is vital to Alberta and to the rest of Canada, and the country is forgoing thousands of jobs and millions of dollars in lost revenue due to pipeline bottlenecks.“There are many tools that we also have between our previous wine ban and this tool,” said Notley.“All we are doing is making sure that our tools are at the ready, because it is important for Albertans to understand that we are going to stand up to protect the interests of Albertans on this matter.”Notley said the province is looking at taking action on oil and natural gas.Each day, Alberta currently exports 44,000 barrels per day of gasoline and 47,000 barrels of diesel to B.C., representing more than 20 per cent of its total production.Alberta exports 2.4 billion cubic feet per day of marketable natural gas to B.C. per day, representing one quarter of its production. About 17 per cent of those exports are used by B.C., with the rest going to the United States.Notley’s announcement echoes action taken in 1980 by former Alberta premier Peter Lougheed in a showdown with the federal government.Lougheed announced phased cuts to oil flows amounting to 15 per cent over nine months as well as the cancellation of two large oilsands developments after Pierre Trudeau’s Liberals brought in the national energy program with its price controls, new taxes, and revenue sharing.The two sides brokered a compromise after Lougheed turned off the taps.B.C. Environment Minister George Heyman responded to Notley by saying the province will continue to defend its interests when it comes to protecting the environment.“I see no reason for the government of Alberta to take any action when all B.C. has been doing is standing up for our interests,” he said in Victoria.“We’re proposing some regulations that are well within our jurisdiction. We’re determined to defend our environment, our economy and our coast line.”Heyman said B.C. would expect the dispute to be settled in court.“We’ve tried to be the adults in the room here,” said Heyman.Alberta Opposition United Conservative Leader Jason Kenney has been pushing Notley for weeks to take a tougher stance with pipeline opponents, including revisiting Lougheed’s moves.“(This) is exactly the strategy I advocated since Day One. And the premier mocked and ridiculed that idea right up until the last few days,” said Kenney.“We’re setting the agenda and they’re responding.”Notley brought in a ban on B.C. wine in early February after B.C. Premier John Horgan’s government announced it would not allow increased oil shipments through the province until it had reviewed oil spill safety.Notley lifted the ban on Feb. 22 after Horgan said his government would not block extra oil while it asked the courts to determine if B.C. has the authority to take the action it was planning.Notley and the federal government have stated that the law is clear and Ottawa alone has ultimate jurisdiction on interprovincial pipelines.Kenney said Notley pulled back too quickly on the wine ban, and said he remains skeptical she will still do what is necessary to get the pipeline built.“So far this looks like a pro wrestling match between two wings of the NDP, a choreographed fake fight. If they (Notley’s government) are really serious about this, they’ll back it up with action,” he said.last_img read more

Continue Reading

Canadian crudebyrail exports rise to record high in April NEB reports

first_imgCALGARY – The National Energy Board says crude-by-rail exports from Canada grew to a record 193,500 barrels per day in April, up 13 per cent from the previous month, as full pipelines forced more producers to use trains to get their products to market.The oil shipping tally beat the previous record of nearly 179,000 bpd in September 2014 and was well ahead of the 150,000 bpd moved in April 2017.Andrew Botterill, a partner with accounting firm Deloitte, says he expects rail shipments will continue to grow this year.He says the increased use of rail will allow prices for Western Canadian Select bitumen-blend crude oil to strengthen as compared with New York benchmark West Texas Intermediate crude.Botterill says demand for Canadian heavy oil is expected to increase as it will be needed in the U.S. Gulf Coast refining complex to replace shrinking volumes from Venezuela.Deloitte forecasts global oil prices will fall back from recent three-year highs in the coming months as OPEC countries increase output and international demand for oil declines.“Continuous decreases in Venezuelan production volumes, the possibility of sanctions enforced by the United States on Iran, and decreased oil stockpile volumes have escalated global oil prices,” the report says.“However, these are expected to recede in coming months as OPEC members increase rates to fill void agreement volumes resulting from Iranian and Venezuelan production cuts.”last_img read more

Continue Reading

German court rules Frankfurt must ban some diesel cars

first_imgBERLIN – A German court has ruled that Frankfurt must ban high-polluting diesel vehicles in order to improve the city’s air quality.The dpa news agency reported Wednesday the Wiesbaden administrative court ruled on a complaint filed by the environmental group Deutsche Umwelthilfe, which had argued the city was not meeting European Union clean air rules on nitrogen oxide levels.It was not immediately clear how many vehicles would be affected or how widely. Hamburg has already banned older diesel models from selected roads, and authorities in Stuttgart plan to ban older diesel vehicles from parts of the city next year as well.Diesel engines, which are popular in Germany, emit harmful nitrogen oxide.The bans follow a February court ruling allowing cities to include diesel bans in their air protection measures.last_img read more

Continue Reading

SD 60 answers questions on new Margaret Ma Murray School at public

first_imgInstalling cameras in the washroom hallways or ‘panic buttons’ in each stall were two ideas that were mentioned to provide students with a measure of safety in the new washrooms. Those ideas were also mentioned as a possible way to curb inappropriate behaviour by students in the washrooms after another parent raised the issue.Parents also asked the school board about if and when a playground at the school would be completed.“They can’t begin to build a playground until the spring at the earliest,” said Sloan. “We will continue to update the public as the building gets closer to completion. When the building is finished it should have a playground just like all other schools, that’s our anticipation.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – School District 60 Trustees took questions from members of the public on the format of the washrooms at the new Margaret “Ma” Murray School at Monday’s school board meeting.The washroom format of the new school will be gender-neutral, essentially allowing anyone to use the restrooms. The washrooms’ toilets will be located inside individual separate rooms with locking doors. The toilet rooms themselves will be positioned around a common sink area that will be more open to the school’s corridors.Among the issues raised by the handful of parents in attendance was that of student safety. One parent asked how a teacher would know to provide aid if a student using the toilets needed assistance. “That’s a good question and a good concern,” said Superintendent Dave Sloan. “I’m all for providing a safe and comfortable space, I’ve taken that note. As for what can be done? I don’t have that answer specifically tonight but I can commit to taking that away from this meeting.”last_img read more

Continue Reading